Wednesday, January 16, 2013

in which we share the road

{via pinterest}
so when your hope's on fire
and you know your desire
don't hold a glass over the flame
don't let your heart grow cold
i will call you by name
i will share your road
:: mumford and sons

it's been a rocking chair morning, the kind where my little one won't stop fussing and wiggling and wants only to be held close to her momma. and so we spent our morning in the rocking chair, back and forth motions with coffee for breakfast. 

and these are the times when i ponder the beauty of community, ironically in the silence and solitude provided between breaths when the little one dreams curled against my shoulder. 

there's something essential about community, that moment where a hand finds another hand and skin on skin whispers i've been there; take heart.

there's a sweetness here, a precious air of understanding that comes from shared experience. it's that candle in the window, that tiny beacon that signals welcome to the wandering heart that hasn't found a place to settle yet. 
{via pinterest}

i've become passionate about encouragement, placing my flag on the mountaintop and reaching down a hand to those struggling in their coming after. this is why i stand and say to those sweet ones climbing hard behind, 

do you know just what you are to Him? 
do you know the world needs someone like you to make it better? 

and i'm still learning, a student at His feet, and we're making plans and laying foundation together. and it's going to be beautiful when it's all done, because it's His blueprints, after all. i'm just the follower who lays the brick and paints the wall with colour streaked in my hair and smudged on my cheek. 

so take heart and reach up, sister warrior, brother braveheart. He'll catch you, and we'll walk in light together. 

may you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
may today there be peace within.
may you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
may you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
may you be content knowing you are a child of God.
let this presence settle into your bones, and 
allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
it is there for each and every one of you.
:: St. Teresa of Avila ::


{joining with dear em today; join us?} 

10 comments:

  1. As I am reading this, Rachel, I am awaiting the birth of my first grandbaby. I so long to sit and rock my daughter's sweet baby. I wish I could come and sit with you, sip some coffee, or maybe take a turn in your chair and allow you to sip yours while its still hot. Or at least lukewarm.

    Because, yes, I have been there. And I remember when the days were long and hard. And now I find myself longing for them again. You will too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great words, many need to soak them into their heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought for a moment, it was me rocking that baby with a cup of coffee. Beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful imagery and encouragement, Rachel. I feel very encouraged by your words ... so I'd say you did a wonderful job--even with paint streaked hair. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is probably exactly what I needed to read today - thank you for the encouragement. I couldn't read every word of the St. Teresa of Avila quote, because it is a hard message to accept - so thanks for saying it, and please do keep saying it for whomever is listening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for this entry. I came to peruse from Imperfect Prose over at Emily's. While so much of your post spoke to me, i was particularly enamoured with the building of the wall and the paint streaks in your hair and on your face. Beautiful. and thank you for the reminder to think 'do you KNOW what you ARE to him?'....so often it is far easier for me to listen to the lies i've let bury themselves deep in my heart and think that i'm just someone to exist...but i forget each of us was CREATED, created with plan and purpose in His loving and life-giving hands. the reminder resonates so deeply into a part of me I didn't realize was aching. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lighthearted and intricately written; I love it! Reading this through Emily's blog, and happy to share a cup of coffee with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you. this is lovely. exactly what i need these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blogspot is so lovely. Just a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words intertwine relationship and community and encouragement in a beautiful way. Thank-you also for sharing the prayer of St. Teresa of Avila.

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon