Thursday, December 8, 2011

three things :: spoken word

sometimes i wanna write what i feel.

i want to take what i see and do the undone and fix the unfixed and light the snuffed candle all over again. but then i look and i say, do i even see? do i even know anything?

and so i take my pen and my paper and my too-many thoughts and i sit and i wonder just what might happen if i knew something, anything at all.

i watch the people, feet on pavement and pavement on feet. and i realize what i know.

i know three things, because sarah kay says good things come in threes, and she's right, after all.

:: i know that light kills the dark ::

and when you're walking in the dark and there's nothing but a match in your pocket, it's a good thing to know. and when you're walking in the Night and there's nothing but a verse in your mind reminding to be still and know that I AM...it's a good thing to know.

:: i know that art is the voice even when it never speaks ::

i know that sometimes the silence of a paintbrush screams SEE ME and the whisper of just one wavering note in the empty concert halls cries I CAN DO THIS AFTER ALL and the raised arm on a stage is the salute to all things undone and all things done over and over and done well.

:: i know that mystery is just that, and it's okay to not know ::

{via pinterest}
i know that knowing is part of the battle, and when you don't know what you know that it can crush and scare and be unsure. but it's okay to have a mystery that you don't understand.

and it's okay to let Him be the mystery of Love and Flesh and Man and God all in one small infant bundle, growing up up up to be Death and Life and Salvation and Water and Broken Bread with Wounds that Heal.

that is what i know. no more shaking ground for i stand on What, on Who i know.

because i write what i feel and i feel what i know. and i know Him and little else. but that's power, okay? that Light is more than enough. that Water is more than enough.

because i know these things. Him and Him only.

everlasting, time over time, from age to age.

Alpha and Omega, You answer. because You know

more than three things. 

10 comments:

  1. how perfect, and encouraging. your writing is truly beautiful.
    xoxo
    simi (come follow me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful and inspiring. thank you for writing this, rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words, Rachel. Thanks for visiting me (and I consider myself hugged!)

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come here and I just stand in awe at the power and beauty of your words, of His words through you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stand on what you know....so much better than trying to stand on what you don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it that we can know at least three things . . . and know The One who knows it all.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. "but it's okay to have a mystery that you don't understand". There is freedom in that and I love that.

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon