Saturday, December 24, 2011

the glory // the strangest way

it's Christmas Eve. i will be brief.

but the saga of this swiftly-coming night of holiness has not released its grip upon me.

because i turn on the radio and i hear songs of silent nights and silver bells and the celebration of God become Man.

 this mystery of how a humble virginal child can spread frightened fingers toward Heaven's gates and sing of a delighted soul, how a confused but tender-hearted carpenter can become the earthly father of the Son of the Most High God.

Why me, I'm just a simple man of trade?
Why Him, with all the rulers in the world?
Why here inside this stable filled with hay?
Why her, she's just an ordinary girl?
Now I'm not one to second guess what angels have to say
But this is such a strange way 
to save the world. 
:: strange way to save the world // 4-Him ::

and so
:: i dare you tonight ::

to find the time to hit your knees upon the floor and behold your King, come humble and gentle, come infant and precious. because this was for you. 

do you understand?

He came to die

this was His purpose, His highest calling. 

this precious infant curled in the arms of wondering parents while His Father gazed from Home with tears in sacred eyes as Word became flesh. 

behold, your King. 

now i'm not one to second-guess what angels have to say
but this is such a strange way 
to save the world. 


4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very humbling. It does. Bring me to my knees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song. My girls were just talking about it the other day in the van as we drove and listened. And yes, I do need to get down on my knees to thank Him and worship Him. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. You know I saw the Nativity Story for the first time this weekend, and now understanding what christmas is all about, the story had such an impact on me.

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon