Sunday, December 18, 2011

the first page :: havah

{via pinterest}
i've been reading a book.

it's not all that uncommon for me to be found reading a book, actually. i'm an avid reader as well as an author. can you be one without the other, really? can you write well without the example of fluttering pages and the comparison of knowing where one has gone before you, and soared?

i'm reading Havah. this volume gifted from the heart of a sister to my mailbox this week. and i cannot put it down.

Tosca Lee put pen to paper and wrote this book, her own heart's picture of the beginning and end through the eyes of the first Woman.

Havah. 
Life. 
Eve. 

and as i pour through these pages, overwhelmed with the beauty of the first portion, my heart swells. this connection to the Creator they feel, their bonding with the One who Spoke them to life...it makes me crave this same communion with Him. because the beauty is almost overwhelming to my soul.

and then the anvil drops. and i can see it coming in slow motion because i know the story and i know what's coming and i know, oh how i know what the cost will be, and i want to scream at her to stop and open her eyes because how could she not know?

but then comes a bite. and a second. and feminine hands outstretched toward husband's lips, and another bite. and with simple movements of lips and teeth and throats, their fate is sealed in darkness. but not just theirs -- ours. every last breath becomes thicker, harder, and every last heart is now blackened with sin.

but there is hope. there is Light.

for with darkness comes a glimmer of Hope. for with the disconnection from the Holy One comes a promise of reconnection.

you will bruise His heal 
but He will crush your head. 

even in anger, God knew. and God would not let His people, His newly-broken ones, go without a hope. do we forget this part of the story? we weep with horror and wail if only if only. 

{via pinterest}
but in a week, we celebrate that hope. 

the hope of all things new. 

for unto us a Child is born
unto us a Son is given
and the Government will be upon His shoulder
and His name shall be 
Wonderful Counseler, Mighty God, 
Everlasting Father
Prince of Peace.

and He came to save and live and walk and die as one of us, so that He might rend the curtain and let the Light in again. 

this is one of the pages in the Christmas story that we forget. the darkest of pages that we swiftly attempt to overturn in our hurry to get to the angels singing and the Child coming into virginal arms. but it's a big picture story, this thing of Jesus' coming. 

because even her name -- Havah -- it means Life. a promise from the beginning, a hope so sure as to not be shaken. 

and Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight
the clouds be rolled back as a scroll.
the trump shall resound and my Lord shall descend
praise the Lord, praise the Lord
oh, my soul.

14 comments:

  1. I would love to read that book. Just need to get past the mountain of library books I've already got... :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. and her name means life, and you saw the anvil and slow-motion because you knew the story, and the first bite, the second, the passing to her mate's lips – and the promise – the promise. And I think - we don't need a Savior unless we have fallen, we don't need his perfection unless we're imperfect, we don't need His love unless this world doesn't love, we don't need his life unless everything in this world dies, we don't need to mark his birthday unless we too easily forget, we just don't need Jesus at all – unless we do – And. We. Do. Thank you for this, it was inspiring. God bless you Rachel, and thank you for being so nice last week. Merry Christmas (totally resisting the urge to say "Havah" Merry Christmas) (er - meh - never mind) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha craig nailed it too...nice post and it is easier it seems to see a savior once you have seen the other...you know what you are saved from for sure...hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In light of our baby Eve's death, I can't help but read this without inserting her name for Havah: "because even her name -- [Eve] -- it means Life. a promise from the beginning, a hope so sure as to not be shaken." That warms my heart. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that paragraph about the bite...WOW. absolutely stunning.

    this is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, you make me want to read this book. love that first photograph, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this book. Sounds...intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this book, but now you've got me wanting to read it. So thankful for the hope.

    Coming over by way of Michelle's place :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praise God for our ever present hope!

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love books too. I have never heard of this one, but I am intrigued. Will have to go look for it. Thank you for sharing it with us and your own beautiful words!
    (visiting form SDG)
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome post!!! I would love to read this book, Library doesn't have and funds are to tight to buy it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this entire post, but it was simply this that fed my soul: the hope of all things new.

    I need that hope right now as I struggle with my kids. Just normal driving me crazy type things but oh, I long for the peace of new...

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon