Saturday, December 10, 2011

burning :: sacred

{via pinterest}
i'm finding that i'm touching the burning bush more and more.

it's a fine line between the sacred and the ordinary, and it's something i'm daily learning to understand. it confused me at first. the closer to the fire i grew, the more intricate the flames became.   

did i never see Him before, in the ink and the dishes and the silverware? did i just see colour as a visual and not as intricately spiritual? 

perspective can change a life. the ability to step back from a scene and look at the dirt and only see a footprint in the dust where nothing showed before. when you see eyes like transparent glass and tumbled messes as something beautiful to be savoured like art

doesn't that change you? 

someone wrote me and said that they didn't understand. where did i get this pair of eyes that sees something where there is really nothing? am i just digging too deep or trying too hard? 

is there really sacredness in laundry or freshly-laid eggs? or am i painting a portrait where there's really only a blank canvas? 

:: but that's the thing about God ::

{via pinterest}
there is no line between sacred and ordinary. isn't that what we celebrate with white lights and candles and whispered stanzas of oh, holy night? 

Heaven became Earth and sacred became touchable. I AM became little boy smiles and tangled brown curls over deep brown eyes and a Israeli childhood with prayers for Messiah's coming. 

this Word become flesh and blood and bone and tears and smiles. this doorway smeared with blood on top and sides opened wide to the sacred and the ordinary melded together. 

this burning bush of glory, of barefoot rejoicing and gentle choruses to welcome Emmanuel. 

fall on your knees
oh night divine. 

9 comments:

  1. There is a email link at the bottom of the winner announcment post; email me there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some are born with those eyes and for some of us it takes much practice. Coming here helps me practice, Rachel. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the closer you get to the fire, the more uncomfortable you will get. that's what this reminded me of :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this:

    "Heaven became Earth and sacred became touchable. I AM became little boy smiles and tangled brown curls over deep brown eyes and a Israeli childhood with prayers for Messiah's coming.

    this Word become flesh and blood and bone and tears and smiles. this doorway smeared with blood on top and sides opened wide to the sacred and the ordinary melded together."

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these words "when you see eyes like transparent glass and tumbled messes as something beautiful to be savoured like art". I'm not sure you are referring to people as "tumbled messes" but that is how I read it, and I think it is a perfectly wonderful way to speak of the mess and pain and beauty that is humanity ... I am a tumbled mess. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always paint such a wonderful picture with your words. Thank you for translating and for sharing your vision through your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this: that there is no line between sacred and ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this doorway smeared with blood on top and sides opened wide to the sacred and the ordinary melded together.

    i think much of the ordinary is sacred...and everything spiritual...nice post...smiles.

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon