Thursday, August 11, 2011

S'ensuivre (Follow)

I know I've already posted today. Maybe I need to break this habit of posting more than once a day.

But in all honesty, this topic has been brewing in my mind for quite some time now. And after reading today's post on Jocee's blog, my heart's whisperings have been confirmed.

Blogging is not a popularity contest.

I don't know when the focus shifted from beautiful words and stunning photography...just enough to make you catch your breath and really thing...to the pursuit of comments and high follower counts.

It has stopped becoming a place of elegance, of soul and depth.

It's become high school all over again.

The ones with the most followers are the ones to know, if you're lucky enough for them to cast your gaze over you.

Please understand --  I know I'm generalizing a bit here, as there are so many of you who have the most beautiful hearts that only amplifies your popularity.

I'm not saying that having hundreds of  followers or a high view count is a bad thing. Not at all. It's a very nice thing, I will admit.

But this is my point.

Blogging is not a contest. 

It's not a war to be won, or a status symbol to be proclaimed. 

50 followers or 5,000. 

Since when did it start to matter so much? 

I won't lie and say that it doesn't feel amazing when I see my follower list increasing, or when I read more and more comments flooding a certain post...or that it doesn't sting when my numbers go down, or my page views decrease. 

But I don't understand why. 

I just want to write. I just want to sing. I just want to paint my watercoloured poetry across this tiny corner of canvas I've been given. 

...since when did that become not enough? 

It's about light. 

It's about words.

It's about friendship.

It's about Him. 

Be my friend or don't. Follow me or don't. Read my blog or don't. It's starting not to matter anymore.

But I will be your friend.

Regardless. 


12 comments:

  1. Amen! You should blog because you enjoy it, because you have something to say and to share, and not to get followers. I try to remember this; thank you for this reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah, amen, you are dismissed. Pure brilliance, darling. I love it :))
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. All who agree shout "Huzzah." HUZZAH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I have seen your comments everywhere- on the "big" blogs- and I've seen them on ones with less than twenty five. So you yourself back this post up.
    This is the second time I have read your blog- and I read this post, and I kinda needed it! Thank you for reminding me what the sole purpose of blogging is about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah...i basically started blogging for myself. only one other person knew about my journey when i was starting it, and along the way, a few others have joined me. it's part of my healing quest. i dearly love those few others who have decided follow along. it delights me to no end when my words touch or move someone else--and i wish i could do that more often!--but my main purpose is still to use writing in a cathartic and therapeutic way. it's kind of like a love story between me and Emmanuel. and of course it's absolutely lovely when people decide to read and comment and whatnot, but that's not the main thing, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great perspective on blogging as well as a good reminder! I do not intend to blog for fame, but rather, for the glory of my King who has given me the ability to write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good reminder! I need to remember that, although I like to know that someone appreciates my posts, I'm not blogging for the comments and followers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully said. I'm new to blogging and it is really more out of a need to "preach the gospel to myself". I find that the things I love to write about are the things I'm struggling with and that maybe others are struggling with too. Thanks for being transparent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT post! I know several bloggers whose fame seems to have gone to their head. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. I'm not into drama. I just write a blog :P

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon