Friday, August 12, 2011

Dawning

Hope is a thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings a tune without words
And never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

I've spent a lot of time dwelling on hope this morning.

I think it's a combination of some of the most recent occurrences in my life that have drawn me up toward this elusive sunrise...

...this phoenix rising from the ashes, arching for its comet-like dash across the night skies...

...this White Stag calling me from the thickest and darkest parts of a seemingly endless wood.

Come chase me. 
Try and catch me. 
Watch me.

I want to have more hope than I already do. I have a tendency to turn my back to the sun to stare at the shadows...those foolish, changing images that I am now taking as truth.  

One moment, my future is tall and stretching past the treetops. The next, I am gazing at my own frail feet and thinking, "where did my beauty go? I must have none."

This strange wing'ed thing...this mystery that is hope...it is not an ever-changing shadow.

It is the sun itself, always there even when hidden by a cloud of doubt or a storm of grief. 

It is the moon streaming into my bedroom, dancing over the soft piecework quilt, only to give me a kiss on my freckled and tear-streaked nose and whisper

courage, dearheart.

Hope is dawning. Hope is rising. Hope is there behind the clouds and in the darkest of nights. 

Hope is a Lion. Hope is a King. Hope is a Savior. 

Jesus. 

"Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness.I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him.'"~Lamentations 3:22


4 comments:

  1. This.
    I needed this.
    Thank you, dear friend. And may your Hope never fail.
    "...for my hope is in the Lord..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the verse from Lamentations. Isn't it incredible how the most unlikely books in the Bible will have such beautifully comforting words?

    I love your blog, just because I know it will always contain something helpful, something inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what I needed to hear after a rough, nearly sleepless night. Thank you once again, Rachel, for inspiring and encouraging me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really needed to hear this; thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon