Friday, July 8, 2011

Village

Small-town USA
Photo by DramaticElegance 
Just a small town girl
Livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train
Goin' anywhere
~Don't Stop Believing, Journey



All of my life, I have been a small-town girl. 


While my heart is a little more big-city style...


...while I always complained throughout my entire teen years about how I can't wait to "get out of this town,"...


...how I spent summer upon summer planning my star-studded future in Chicago or NYC...


...my heart is melted here now. 


Tonight while my husband was at work, my mummy, daddy, and I piled into my parents' Jeep...


...complete with pillows, popcorn buckets, reclining armchairs, and fluffy blankets...


...and headed to downtown movie night!


Honestly, there is nothing better than Tangled to the tune of fireflies...complete with rather awful small-town guitar music, and right up next to the local ice cream parlour where white-chocolate-raspberry-fudge waffle cones await. 


This is the town I grew up in, the town in which I do theater.


This is a town so sweet and small that the police shut down an entire street for the locals to fill with lawn chairs and blankets, and the bank supplies steaming hot popcorn without a single cent in exchange. 


Spending the evening with my parents...


My amazing and wonderfully still-in-love parents
Photo by DramaticElegance
...laughing at the antics of my sugar-hyper daddy, recording snippets of video pre-movie for my sister overseas, and snuggling under blankets with my mummy while my daddy chats up almost everyone in town...


...that's a place I love to be. 


Small town girl. 


Big city dreams.


Here the two meet, 


and they meet well.


Just smell the grass! The dirt! Just like I dreamed they'd be! / Just feel that summer breeze - the way it's calling me / For like the first time ever, I'm completely free! / I could go running / And racing / And dancing / And chasing / And leaping / And bounding / Hair flying / Heart pounding / And splashing / And reeling / And finally feeling / Now's when my life begins! ~When My Life Begins, Tangled


(Also, speaking of adorable villages, Carlotta at Pastor's Girl's Ponderings is having an adorable Parisan giveaway! It ends tomorrow, so be sure to check it out and enter soon!)

2 comments:

  1. @Incongruous Circumspection: I really do love my town. It's one of those things that I cannot really express fully, unless you're there to experience it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon