Thursday, July 28, 2011

Not

When you come to the end of all the light you know and it’s time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly. ~Edward Teller

I am utterly tired of being defined by what I am supposed to be...

...who am I am as a woman, as a Christian, as a sister or daughter or wife or friend.

Everyone else has an idea of what I should be, who I should be, and what I should eventually become.

My heart regarding this was pushed over the edge by this post written by my beautiful blogging sister, Rain.

I will no longer be defined by what I am not.

Because I am NOT so many things.

I am not a falcon. I am a sparrow in His hand, just learning to fly.

I am not a messy apartment or a pile of unsorted papers. I am an eclectic artist with a head full of life.

I am not a mountain climber. I am a kitten, putting out a paw to ascend a sapling.

I am not a lion. I am a lamb learning to roar.

I am not silent. I am a fighter learning to be a lover.

I am not a perfect friend. I am a shoulder on which to cry, and a heart with which to laugh. And I am here for you.

I am not June Cleaver, with coiffed hair and perfect pot roast. I'm my own definition of a domestic goddess and housewife...because I can only be me, as it is.

I am not the owner of a college degree. I am a self-educated woman who lets the King direct her pen.

I am not rational. I am a dreamer, un-caged and full of faith.

I am not a size 2 blonde-hair supermodel. I am a size 12 brunette with uneven green eyes, and I am beautiful.

I am not perfect.

I will never be perfect.

I am striving. I am learning. I am growing.

That is all I can ever be, all I can ever do.

Because I am His...

...and He loves me

arms spread this much

this way.

Certain thoughts are prayers.  There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.  ~Victor Hugo

10 comments:

  1. Rachel.
    I love you.
    That is all.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was just too wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Rachel. You are very beautiful, and the wonderful thing is, God made you in His image which automatically makes you drop-dead gorgeous!!! :)

    Have a lovely day my friend, xxxx~Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should write a book! Every single post is meaningful, and filled with terrific things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are beautiful inside and out. <3

    i find that when we give ourselves permission to accept the truth of who we are (not), it frees others to accept their truth too.

    what a lovely post, a poetic creed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful beautiful. i still need to do my "what i am not" post... it was good to read yours tonight, my dear. i needed another reminder that it's okay to not fit the "should be" mold that people try to squeeze me into. thank you for sharing your heart. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very well written, lovely post! You are indeed a beautiful woman loved by the Lord. What you are to Him matters far more than what everyone expects you to be...what you are not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am too much NOT.

    I am needing to become more AM.

    You all bless me. Exponentially.

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon